Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Top Ten favorites of 2011 - part three

Here are my three favorite collected editions from 2011:

3.  Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth Omnibus Vol. 1
Reprinting Kamandi 1-20, written and drawn by Jack Kirby.   What seems at basic rip-off of Planet of the Apes turns out to be Jack Kirby at his craziest most imaginative.  I don't smoke pot, but if I did, this is the book I'd want to read when high.

2.  Thor by Walt Simonson Omnibus

A giant-sized volume reprinting Walt Simonson's entire classic run on the Mighty Thor, one of the best, right up there with the work of Lee and Kirby.  Beautifully recolored for this collection, these comics look fantastic.  I was tempted to make this my number one pick, but...we also have...

1.  The Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol.1

I do a podcast based on the Fantastic Four, so how could this not be number one.   Byrne, like Simonson on Thor, also created a classic run that rivals that of Lee and Kirby. Unlike the Thor Omnibus, theses issue aren't recolored, but who cares.   Reprinted in this high-qualify volume, these stories look so much better than they do in my tattered old collection of FF comics.  I'm ready for Vol. 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment